Saturday, August 7, 2010

checklist

I have yet to start a checklist for the arrival of our baby boy. And I normally love checklists. But here is my very first checklist for this pregnancy.
Things I must bring to the hospital:
  • modelo especial 6 pack
  • claro’s mortadella, capicolla and soppresetta sandwich
  • yellowtail, halibut, albocore
  • hot dog w/extra mustard
  • keane's coffee.  Extra caffeinated
  • modelo.  did i mention that already?
Yes. All the things I’ve been deprived of these last 7+ months. I want to devour all of them the second this baby pops out. I’m chugging a bottle or two of modelo as the doctor takes out my placenta and stitches me up. and i’ll need that modelo when she stitches me up! What about breatfeeding you ask? The baby needs to get a head start in life. He’ll appreciate a little bit of modelo too I’m sure, if he’s anything like his mother.

Ok, all kidding aside. I’m CRAVING beer. Italian deli meat. And real coffee. I’m sick of the decaf crap. Son, if you ever read this. Know that mama has the tiniest self-control known to any man on earth. yet she’s endured these last 7+ months w/out the food she loves the most. Isn’t she the greatest mother in the world?

On a different and all serious pregnancy note (I was serious about being the greatest mother in the world) – I think my maternity leave date is set for 9/24. I say I think because I know it won’t be any sooner than that unless some complication arises from now until then, but from what doctor sees, everything’s going fine. She said as long as I’m not spotting, in unusual pain, and the baby’s kicks & movements are consistent, there’s no need for concern. I’m seeing her every 2 weeks now so I’m sure she’ll know every time she sees me. I know it won’t be any later than 9/24 because the doctor’s said she normally takes moms out at 36 weeks. So I’m sticking to 9/24. I’m gonna stick my foot in my mouth later for saying this, but I kinda like work these days so a part of me wants to work as far into my pregnancy as I can. We’re super busy lately with rates being historically low but my pregnancy has made work less stressful. I know – sounds weird but I’d consciously made the effort to not let work stress me out when I got pregnant. So ever since, I’ve come to work and actually enjoyed doing my job. I think the baby’s made me a happier, calmer person. I don’t want to tell my clients off anymore. Surprise! Well, 9/24 it is though. Told my boss already and date’s penciled in on her calendar. These little things make it all so official. I never thought I’d get here. And now that I am here, I have no clue what I’m supposed to do next. I don’t have a checklist started yet, that’s why! I think right about now is a good time to start one.

No comments: